It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:20 am

All times are [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot Sauce Connoisseur
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hot Sauce Connoisseur

Feel free to post your own pics of your favorite hot sauces, your favorite pepper or sauce 'Scoville chart,' or anything else relevant.

Of course, there are many health benefits of spices. Here's a quick link on that for now: The Health Benefits Of Spicy Foods

I've been trying out different brands of hot sauces for years now. My dad used to make his own special chili when I was a kid and even entered chili contexts now and then. He started me off quite mild, of course, and built up the spiciness over time.

I don't need super hot sauce - I'm not interested in ruining my food. I simply enjoy a variety of spicy flavors to go with different types of foods. I love hot sauce on my pizza. I even try different hot sauces on just about everything within reason.

Trappey's Red Devil cayenne pepper sauce has good flavor yet, it's quite mild, even though they use cayenne pepper it's very diluted so, you get the cayenne flavor without all the 'heat.'

Louisiana Hot Sauce is mild and has good flavor in my opinion. These are decent brands to start with if you're a newbie and they're usually cheap and available at most grocery stores.

It would be wise to be aware of the Scoville rank or rating of the 'heat' or spiciness of a sauce before tasting any seriously hot sauces. So, always check to see what peppers are used in the sauce and their Scoville rank before tasting. The higher the value of Scoville Heat Units (SHU), the hotter the pepper or sauce.

I'm trying to find some really nice Scoville charts that are easy to read and understand with a large variety of pepper pics listed for convenience.

Quote:
The Scoville scale:

"The Scoville scale is a measure of the "hotness" of a chili pepper. These fruits of the Capsicum genus contain capsaicin, a chemical compound which stimulates thermoreceptor nerve endings in the skin, especially the mucus membranes, and the number of Scoville Heat Units (SHU) indicates the amount of capsaicin present. Many hot sauces use their Scoville rating in advertising as a selling point. The scale is named after its creator, chemist Wilbur Scoville.

Scoville's original method for testing hotness was called the Scoville Organoleptic Test, which he developed in 1912. As originally devised, a solution of the pepper extract is diluted in sugar water until the "heat" is no longer detectable to a panel of (usually five) tasters; the degree of dilution gives its measure on the Scoville scale. Thus a sweet pepper, containing no capsaicin at all, has a Scoville rating of zero, meaning no heat detectable even undiluted. Conversely, the hottest chiles, such as habaneros, have a rating of 300,000 or more, indicating that their extract has to be diluted 300,000-fold before the capsaicin present is undetectable. The greatest weakness of the Scoville Organoleptic Test is its imprecision, because it relies on human subjectivity. Being a natural product, the heat can vary from pepper to pepper, so this scale is just a guide."

Scoville Scale Chart for Hot Sauce and Hot Peppers

http://www.chilliworld.com/factfile/scoville_scale.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

Here's one of the most comprehensive charts I've seen thus far ... they give you photos of each pepper and give you viewing options by selecting "All" or "Only Sauces" or "Only Peppers." I have linked to peppers here: Scoville Scale Chart for Hot Sauce and Hot Peppers

Searching for products: "The Nations #1 Hot Sauce Emporium with Over 1,100 Pepper Products"

Trappey's Red Devil: 800-1,200 Scoville Units (SU)

Panola Gourmet Pepper Sauce: 1,000 - 1,500 Scoville Units (SU)

Louisiana Hot Sauce: 1,200 to 1600 Scoville Units (SU)

Tabasco has several styles I like and Chipotle is my favorite for now. Tabasco FAQ's

Tabasco Original: 2,500-5,000 Scoville Units (SU)

Dave's Insanity sauce: 180,000 Scoville Units (SU)

Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection
2015 Astrotheology Calendar
Astrotheology Calendar Special
Stellar House Publishing at Youtube
The Mythicist Position

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Worldwide History of Spice:

The Mythicist Position

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

The next time you're at the store be sure to read the label on Dave's Insanity sauce for a good laugh:

Daves Gourmet

Thing is, they're probably telling the truth! I only add ONE DROP or maybe two DROPS to my bowl of chili so, if you try this one, please, due be careful.

A few rascals in my family love to make a good 'Bloody Mary' drink a bit on the spicy side and while visiting once we just happen to be short on hot sauce so, they grabbed my Dave's Insanity sauce to use when I wasn't there. They had no idea what they were in for and it caused quite a ruckus. They had to dilute it 10 times (seriously) before they could even drink their Bloody Mary's. There is a warning on the label for those with heart/respiratory problems as you can see on the label below the red rectangle in the image above and they are not kidding.

With these sauces that really are that hot be sure to always keep the bottle and lid clean because even a tiny amount will bring a whole new kind of hurt if you rub your eyes or use the bathroom. You do NOT want this stuff on your junk, I promise. :shock:

If you ever feel like you're on fire, do NOT drink water ... you need MILK! If you get super-hot sauce on your skin apply milk.

Quote:
"Chilies contain a substance called capsaicin that makes taste buds sting. When capsaicin pings taste buds, these heat-detecting neural sensors send a message straight to the brain: "fire!" Milk, however, contains casein, a fat-loving compound that binds with spicy capsaicin oil and then washes it away."

Milk Best Cure For Spice of Hot Chilies

The Mythicist Position

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

One thing Hot Sauce Connoisseurs like to do is get a hot sauce poster and then try to get every sauce in the poster in order to make it look just like the poster.

Chile Pepper Institute

The Mythicist Position

All times are [ DST ]