Evangelicals Wade Into Circumcision Debate
"(RNS) The National Association of Evangelicals is siding with Jews and Muslims in opposition of a proposed ban on infant male circumcision in San Francisco.
"Jews, Muslims, and Christians all trace our spiritual heritage back to Abraham. Biblical circumcision begins with Abraham," NAE President Leith Anderson said in a statement. "No American government should restrict this historic tradition. Essential religious liberties are at stake."
The proposed ban, which does not include a religious exemption, would prevent circumcision of male children in San Francisco. If passed, circumcisions would be considered a misdemeanor that could carry a fine of up to $1,000 or a year in jail....."
Male and female circumcision is merely genital mutilation for religious reasons. There should be a nation wide ban on circumcision on babies. If a person still wants to be circumcised for religious or other reasons they should be allowed to do it THEMSELVES when they're 18.
So what happened to speaking out for babies, giving them a voice since they can't speak for themselves? The anti-abortionists should be jumping up and down on this one since they claim to be all about protecting innocent babies who obviously can't speak for themselves but nope, not a peep. In fact, we have quite the opposite as the evangelicals support circumcision against all evidence, facts, health and safety of the child because the anti-abortionists really couldn't care less about people after they're born.
Here are several great resources. One should be able to find about anything they need from here on the topic of circumcision...
Ritual Circumcision - "Circumcision is the first commandment given by God to Abraham, the first Jew, and is central to Judaism.
"This is My covenant that you shall observe between Me and you and your children after you, to circumcise your every male. You shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin, and it shall become the sign of a covenant between Me and you"
"And on the 8th day he shall have his foreskin circumcised" (Leviticus 12:3)http://www.circumcision.net
"Circumcision is the most commonly performed surgical procedure in the United States today."
- Does this mean that the penis is NOT an intelligent design on Gods part? Outside of the US in many Islamic countries, It is the mutilation of the female that is rampant.
What you need to know...
* No national or international medical association recommends routine circumcision.
* Only the USA circumcises the majority of newborn boys without medical or religious reason.
* Circumcision began during the 1800s to prevent masturbation, which was believed to cause disease.
* Today's parents are learning that the foreskin is a normal, protective, functioning organ.
* Today's parents realize circumcision has risks and is unnecessary.
* Circumcision denies a male's right to genital integrity and choice for his own body.
- The MYTHS of Circumcision
* Female genital mutilation (FGM) includes procedures that intentionally alter or injure female genital organs for non-medical reasons.
* The procedure has no health benefits for girls and women.
* Procedures can cause severe bleeding and problems urinating, and later, potential childbirth complications and newborn deaths.
* An estimated 100 to 140 million girls and women worldwide are currently living with the consequences of FGM.
* It is mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15 years.
* In Africa an estimated 92 million girls from 10 years of age and above have undergone FGM.
* FGM is internationally recognized as a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
- Female Genital Mutilation
National Organization of Circumcision Information Resource CenterAttorneys for the Rights of the ChildCircumcision Information Resource PagesDoctors Opposing CircumcisionMothers Against CircumcisionCircumcision Resource CenterCircumcision video - warning for timid viewersCircumcision is Evil
"The grieving family of a tragic Queens toddler are blasting doctors at Beth Israel Hospital in Manhattan -- accusing them of botching a simple circumcision that led to the boy's sudden death.
Jamaal Coleson Jr. died Tuesday, about 10 hours after what was supposed to be a routine procedure, according to his uncle Jabbar Coleson, 23.
Coleson said the hospital was supposed to give his nephew a local analgesic, but instead administered a general.
The boy, who would have turned 2 next month, "Woke up and laughed and called for his mother and then went critical.
- May 6, 2011 Tot's shock hosp death