Why should you lower cholesterol?
There are many benefits to lowering the cholesterol levels in your body. The number one among them is that lowered cholesterol equals lowered risk of heart disease. When your body produces excess cholesterol and the liver cannot handle it anymore, the cholesterol enters your bloodstream and causes blockages, thus leading to different kinds of heart related ailments.Low cholesterol in general can help you lead a better quality of life, and when you exercise and quit smoking, you can well be on your way to good health.
Diets for reducing cholesterol
Today, if you want to lower the levels of cholesterol in your body, you can follow one of the many diets that are there. These diets can help reduce LDL, the bad cholesterol, improve HDL, the good cholesterol. There are also a few types of foods that are known to help in reducing cholesterol significantly, and these have been approved by the AHA (American Heart Association) as well.
• Oats are fiber rich, and oatmeal is a good source of soluble fiber which is known to get rid of LDL. Other cereal based foods such as whole wheat bread and unpolished rice are also known to be very helpful.
• When you think Omega 3 fatty acids, you think of fish. Fish lovers can rejoice because fatty fish such as krill, mackerel, salmon, sardines, trout and herring are known to reduce LDL significantly.
• Nuts can also help remarkably in reducing the levels of LDL in your body. Nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, pistachios and walnuts are known to reduce cholesterol. However, don’t go overboard, because nuts are also high in calories.
• There are plenty of studies about how flaxseed can reduce the levels of LDL in your body, so it’s worth checking out too.
• Beans and legumes have good fiber content and are high in protein as well so they can be substituted for red meat.
• Fruits and vegetables are your best bet too. A diet rich with fruits and vegetables ensures that HDL is up and LDL is down.
You all seem to have the ability to look for the truth.
"Cholesterol is bad" is a complete myth - just like Religion
(sorry had too)
Its not the cholesterol - you die with low cholesterol. your brains and cells are made of it
(show me one real study that proves cholesterol is bad)
You need to worry about the oxidation which causes inflammation!!!
I was my own lab rat the last year:
--I dropped the sugars and grains and processed crap
--increased my fat and protein intake by eating lots of fatty meat (chicken/beef/lamb/poultry) (grass-fed of course from a local farm)
--Eat between 12-18 eggs per week (raw and cooked)
--supplement with butter oil and cod liver oil (fat)
--at least one tablespoon of pure coconut oil a day (pure fat)
--very little dairy except 10% fat greek yogurt
Guess what - I lost 25lbs in 6 weeks and my blood test over the last 12 months are incredible!! My triglycerides (which is what really only counts) are below measurable - yes they are perfect.
Eat like your ancestors did before grains and sugar starting killing everyone. People like to call it Paleo or Primal eating - I just call it real food.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercol ... 76817.htmlhttp://www.jpands.org/vol10no3/colpo.pdfhttp://www.naturalnews.com/022960_medic ... terol.htmlhttp://www.thincs.org/links.htmhttp://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ealed.aspxhttp://www.marksdailyapple.com/choleste ... z1rr10kqRNhttp://garytaubes.com/http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/http://www.archevore.com/get-started/